Our latest Sweet Nightingale Magazine is available now
The Silence of Covid 19
- For singers and musicians, the Lockdown imposed by Covid 19 means no sessions. Howth Singing Circle is in abeyance until precautions are eased and it is safe to reassemble to enjoy each other’s company and songs. There are, of course, many Zoom sessions being held and you can both tune in and enjoy some singing or you can seek to participate yourself. We are aware of Zoom sessions being promoted by Bray, An Góilín, The Night Before Larry Got Stretched and The Sunflower, Belfast, and would recommend them to you. There is also a Cancelled Singing Sessions FB page. Many musicians are also hosting events online – either as live sessions or recordings. Those who earn their living from performance are, like many others in different walks of life, suddenly bereft of income. You can help by contributing by purchasing artists’ material that is available through Bandcamp and other hosting platforms, direct from a favourite artist’s web or Facebook page where recordings can be sourced, or by showing your appreciation of online sessions like those held each Friday by our old friends Paul and Shona Anderson.
- We have been putting some recordings up on the Howth Singing Circle Facebook pages inviting you to enjoy artists like Niamh Parsons and Graham Dunne or Tony Fitzpatrick and to support their recordings. Of course, many hundreds of thousands are taking financial hits but for the vast majority of musicians, their income, even in good economic times, is precarious and erratic.
- If there is anything else you feel you would like Howth Singing Circle to do, please let us know.
- Until we can resume our normal activities, we salute our health care and other front-line workers for everything they are doing on all our behalf. Stay safe everyone.
Our latest Sweet Nightingale is available to read here – scroll down for earlier editions.
Yet another reminder that Howth Burns Nicht 2019 is virtually sold out – to avoid disappointment please secure your tickets.
We have three events on the Burns weekend
– Saturday, 2 February, 11.30-1 a Workshop with Shona Donaldson Anderson, 10 euro – those attending Workshop and Burns Nicht will sing the song(s) learned at the Workshop on the night!
Venue: Abbey Tavern
– Saturday, 2 February, 8-12.30, Howth Burns Nicht – tickets twenty euro, booking essential
– Sunday, 3 February, 3-6, Fare The Weel Session, Abbey Tavern, free
Finally, please find the latest Sweet Nightingale here – https://howthsingingcircle.com/sweet-nightingale/
Best wishes for 2019 and thank you for your support in 2018
Our latest copy of the new series of the magazine ‘The Sweet Nightingale’ is available here
There is a new ‘Sweet Nightingale’ available
Burns Nicht 2016 is on Saturday, 23 January in the Abbey Tavern from 8pm with Special Guests Daimh and the St Lawrence Howth Pipe Band.
Tickets are twenty euro and booking is essential.
Phone: Abbey Tavern (01) 839 0307
On Sunday 24 January, from 3-6, we have the Fare Thee Weel Session in the Angling Club.